Breakfast Mac & Cheese
Main Dish, Crowd Pleasers, American, Classic Comfort
Upgrade your household morning routine with this fabulous recipe that features our classic Mac & Cheese and turns breakfast into the best meal of the day.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a small non-stick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until golden brown and crisp. Remove from heat and chop roughly. Reserve bacon drippings.
- Heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Add shredded potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Using a spatula, press potatoes into an even layer. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Flip potatoes and cook 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a bowl, combine Mac & Cheese with chopped bacon. Divide evenly into two ramekins or small, shallow baking dishes (approx. 10-12 oz each).
- Evenly spread cooked hash brown potatoes over the mac & cheese. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and the potatoes are tender.
- Heat oil in a small non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Crack each egg into the pan and cook 2-1/2 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks are still runny.
- Top each ramekin with a sunny-side egg and garnish with chives.
Or, Try This
- If serving a crowd, multiply this recipe to yield as many servings as you’d like, baking in individual ramekins or in a casserole dish.
- We suggest shredding the potatoes on the largest holes of a box grater. Once shredded, wrap potatoes in a kitchen towel or several layers of paper towels and twist to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. This will ensure crispy potatoes!
- You can also find pre-shredded potatoes in the freezer or refrigerated section of your grocery store.
- If you do not like your eggs sunny-side-up, you can make them any way you like -- scrambled also works great!