Bread Bowl Shakshuka
Main Dish, Mediterranean, Vegetarian
Nobody still in bed will resist the temptation of our hearty sourdough bread bowls filled with the rich flavors of shakshuka.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. To prepare the bread bowls, cut approximately 1-inch off the top and remove the excess bread inside, leaving about ½ inch of bread and crust. Place bowls, tops and extra bread pieces on a sheet pan.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a sauté pan. Add onion and peppers and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender and golden brown around the edges. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Stir in tomato soup, paprika, cumin, chili powder and harissa. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes to reduce and slightly thicken.
- Portion the hot tomato mixture into each bread bowl. Using the back of a spoon, create a small well in the middle of the tomato mixture and crack one egg into the well.
- Place in oven and bake 16-20 minutes or until the egg is set and the yolk is still runny. The bread bowl tops and extra bread pieces might need to be removed sooner, when they become lightly golden brown and toasted.
- Remove from oven and garnish with crumbled Feta cheese and parsley. Serve with additional toasted bread pieces.
Or, Try This
- Look for harissa paste in the international foods aisle.
- If you can't find our Sourdough Bread Bowls at your grocery store, you can get some at your nearest Panera bakery-cafe.