Lemon Chicken & Rice Skillet
Main Dish, Mediterranean, Gluten Conscious
This tasty Lemon Chicken & Rice Skillet comes together in half an hour, cooks in just one pan and is deliciously infused with Mediterranean flavors. In other words, it’s a winner, winner of a chicken dinner.
- Place chicken thighs and ½ cup dressing into a re-sealable plastic bag. Allow to marinate for 10 minutes, flipping over halfway. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Remove chicken thighs from marinade, shaking off excess, add to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, add olive oil and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add rice, stirring to coat with oil, and toast for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining ½ cup dressing, 1 ¾ cup water, and lemon zest. Return chicken thighs and any juices to pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat, cover, and cook until rice is tender, all liquid has been absorbed, and thighs are cooked through, about 15 minutes. Finish with chopped parsley and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
Or, Try This
- Lemon zest (the thin yellow outer layer of the peel) brings out the zingy brightness of lemon. One lemon yields about 2 tbsp. of lemon zest. To zest a lemon, a microplane or citrus zester is easiest. If you don’t have one, try the smallest side of a box grater. Avoid grating the white pith underneath, as it can be bitter. For this dish, slice the lemon for garnish.
- If you prefer brown rice, increase cooking time by about 20 minutes.