Green Beans with Crispy Shallots
Side Dish, Classic Comfort, Vegetarian, Calorie Conscious, Gluten Conscious, Sodium Conscious
Green beans are a staple on the Thanksgiving table. Sautéed and topped with crispy shallots they are a fresh, lighter take on the traditional casserole – no oven needed.
- Heat 2 tbsp. vegetable oil in a small sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently for 10 minutes or until shallots are golden brown and crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt while still warm.
- Place poppyseed dressing into a small sauce pot. Heat over medium heat until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and whisk in cold butter until combined.
- Heat 2 tbsp. vegetable oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add green beans and sauté for 5 minutes or until green beans are tender crisp. Drizzle with poppyseed dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place green beans on a serving platter and sprinkle crispy shallots on top just before serving so they remain crisp.
Or, Try This
- This is a healthier, fresh alternative to the traditional green bean casserole – that doesn’t take up precious room in your oven
- To make this dish even closer to the classic, you can add sautéed mushrooms. Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 8 oz. pkg of sliced white or baby bella mushrooms. Sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Toss with the cooked green beans and dressing before garnishing with crispy shallots.