Turkey Sausage and Apple Stuffing
Side Dish, Crowd Pleasers, Side Dish, Classic Comfort
On Thanksgiving, turkey is front and center, so why not add it to your stuffing? With turkey sausage and diced apple, this stuffing could not be more festive (or delicious).
- Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and place into oven for 10 minutes while preheating oven to 350°F to allow them to dry out slightly.
- Heat large sauté pan over medium-high heat.Add turkey sausage and cook for 5 minutes, while breaking up into crumbles with a spatula or spoon, until it is cooked through.Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat in the same pan and sauté leek, celery and apple for 10 minutes until golden brown and cooked down.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, eggs and herbs.
- In a large bowl, toss together bread, broth mixture, cooked turkey sausage, and vegetable apple mixture.Toss gently until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 qt baking dish and bake covered for 25 minutes.Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes until stuffing becomes golden brown on the top
Or, Try This
- If you would like to cut down the baking time, place approximately ½ cup mixture into each cup of a muffin pan, pressing lightly.Bake for 15 minutes, or until top has browned.Cool on rack for 5 minutes before carefully removing from pan. Makes approximately 8 stuffing cups.
- If you can’t find the Poultry Blend, packaged together, you can buy the three herbs separately and use 1 tsp. of each.
- This recipe is also delicious with any other Panera at Home sliced bread.