Balsamic Roasted Strawberry Shortcake
Crowd Pleasers, Side Dish, American
Easy enough for a weeknight dessert, fancy enough for a dinner party or your holiday spread, this Shortcake with Balsamic Roasted Strawberries takes just minutes to prep. It adds a beautiful finish to dinner.
- Preheat oven to 425oF. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, vinaigrette, 1 ½ tsp. sugar, and lemon zest. Spread evenly on a parchment lined sheet pan. Roast for 25 minutes, tossing once half way through cook time.
- While strawberries are roasting, spread 1 tsp. butter on each side of the pound cake slices and toast in a non-stick skillet for 1-2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and warmed through.
- In a medium bowl, combine heavy cream, vanilla extract, and remaining 1 ½ tsp. sugar. Whip just until stiff peaks are reached. Top toasted pound cake with roasted strawberries and whipped cream and garnish with fresh mint.
Or, Try This
- Lemon zest (the thin yellow outer layer of the peel) brings out the zingy brightness of lemon. One lemon yields about 2 tbsp. of lemon zest. To zest a lemon, a microplane or citrus zester is easiest. If you don’t have one, try the smallest side of a box grater. Avoid grating the white pith underneath, as it can be bitter. Refrigerate the lemon for juice in another meal.
- Also delicious over ice cream.